Article #3: Registeel*

Featured Card is an exclusive The Pika Club feature run by Raikou Trainer. Each article takes a card from the Pokémon TCG and is reviewed and rated. Users may reply to existing topics but not create new ones.
Raikou Trainer
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 0

Article #3: Registeel*

Post by Raikou Trainer »

This was originally written in early-mid 2006, so combos, ratings, etc. will be outdated.

Name: Registeel*

Type: Metal

HP: 90

Basic Pokemon

[M] Barrier Attack (10) During your opponent's next turn, any damage done to Registeel* by attacks is reduced by 10 (after applying Weakness and Resistance).

[MMC] Final Laser- Put 3 damage counters on your opponent's Pokemon in any way you like. If your opponent has only 1 Prize card left and Registeel* is the only Pokemon you have in play, put 6 damage counters instead.

Weakness: Fire

Resistance: Grass

Retreat Cost: (CCC)

Number: 92/92

Rarity: Star Holo

Analysis

Star Rule: All Pokemon* have this rule tied to them, which only lets you use one in your deck. Unlike the older Shining Pokemon, you can't have two or more different Pokemon* in the same deck.

HP: 90 is pretty good for a Basic. It's even better in the hands of Registeel*, since Metal Energy and Barrier Attack will reduce damage dealt to it, effectively stretching the HP longer than usual. Add some healing cards, and it can last a very long time. You can use Energy Root to raise it to 110, and since Registeel* doesn't have a PokePower or PokeBody, hey, why not?

Weakness: Fire has gotten stronger since Delta Species, making it tougher for Registeel* to survive.

Resistance: Registeel* doesn't have... huh? Wait a sec! Registeel* actually HAS a Resistance to talk about! I was almost getting used to saying that the Pokemon I feature doesn't have one! Anyway, Grass types normally would have a tough time with Registeel*, but they usually can cause Poison, so that can turn into a problem regardless.

Retreat: Three Energy is way too much to pay just to retreat, so I would advise using Switch or similar cards.

Barrier Attack: For a single Metal Energy, you can do 10 damage AND take 10 less damage from an attack, unless you use an actual Metal Energy card, which will add 10 more! Therefore, you have a pretty good wall so you can start setting up your strategy.

Final Laser: This attack is both costly and situational for the best effect. Under normal circumstances, you can place 3 damage counters however you like among your opponent's Pokemon. However, if your opponent has one Prize left AND Registeel* is the only Pokemon you have left in play, the attack lets you place six. The odds of this happening are very slim, so don't expect to get the full effect of this attack very often. That, and six damage counters isn't really enough to pose a huge threat to your opponent.

Combos

Any Pokemon with Rend: Kind of odd that last week I wrote an article about a Pokemon that uses Rend, and now I'm writing one about a Pokemon that can set up Rend. The one I would reccomend is Aggron ex from Sandstorm, although Donphan from Ruby & Sapphire will work too.

Mr. Briney's Compassion: This Supporter can bring back a non ex Pokemon to your hand from play, therefore setting up Final Laser.

Super Scoop Up: A similar card to Briney, only that it's not a Supporter, it works on Pokemon ex, but you need to flip heads for it to work.

Ratings

Unlimited: Scyther (Jungle) will be almost powerless to stop Registeel*. However, Fire Pokemon aren't played very often in Unlimited, so Registeel* shoudn't have too much of a problem. Just watch out for those Energy Removals! 6/10

Modified: Registeel* just doesn't work well here. There are lots of ways to deal huge amounts of damage, and even with Metal Energy and Barrier Attack, Registeel* just won't last long enough to be useful. 3/10

Conclusion

Although Registeel* is very hard to find (1 in every 3 boxes of 36 packs for even a chance at one!), it's more of a collectible card than it is a playable one.