When should Pokémon stop and when will it?

For Pokémon discussion that doesn't quite fit into any of the other forums.

Moderator: Forum staff

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 0

When should Pokémon stop and when will it?

Post by Pikachu3828 »

Ever since the days of Red/Blue with news of new Pokémon games on the horizon with a new lot of Pokémon there have been rumours flying around about when Gamefreak are going to stop producing new Pokémon (/games?) Obviously these early rumours were all false as we are awaiting a new generation of Pokémon right now, the 4th one making the grand total probably around 400~500 when they're released.

So, my question is this: When do you think Pokémon should stop, that is making new Pokémon and possibly producing RPG games and when do you think it actually will stop?

In my opinion they are going overboard with 400~500 Pokémon, 151 was a respectable amount and it was easily possible to attain them all. The next generation was fun but made it much harder to collect them all. Now there is 386 at the moment, so much so they even dropped the famous Pokémon mantra, "Gotta Catch 'Em All!" a while ago, probably due to the fact it's nearly impossible to get them all now. As for when they will actually stop, who knows. I think as long as the brand is still profitable they will continue, which could mean a LOT of Pokémon.

Favourites: :Gyarados: :Tyranitar: :Zangoose: :Drapion: Image

Red: 151/151 | Gold: 247/251 | Fire Red: 376/386 | Heart Gold: 493/493 | Black: 649/649

Please do not PM me about bugs on the Adoption Agency. Instead, make a topic in the bugs forum.

Pikachu90000
Pokémon master
Pokémon master
Location: The People's Democratic Sovereign Elitist Commonwealth of the Union of Cascadia

Post by Pikachu90000 »

Let's see now. Since something like Mario and Sonic has been going on since the 1980's. Pokemon might just run on forever until people get bored. Is there anybody bored at the Mario franchise?
Have questions regarding about The Pika Club? The Pika Club Guide and FAQ

PD Wooper
Saffron City
Saffron City

Post by PD Wooper »

Personally I think that 386 is just too much. I knew all of the 251, in order, but I don't know all 386 in order x_X I fail. You never know, I might even forget about some of the old ones to make room for the new ones.
Hallo n_~

Daren_Charizard
Pallet Town

Post by Daren_Charizard »

I must agree. Pokemon was a great thing with the first series, and many of us wanted the second. But now i've last track of what we're up to. I thought i was pretty cool getting Pokemon Red for Gameboy B&W, but now... well... personally i think its past its used-by-date. ^_~ I'm starting to feel old knowing the Pokerap when im only 13 *Shakes head*

- Melissa.
"... So tune in next week for another exciting episode of "They are actually qualified to do this job" ..."
- Melissa. Almighty sister of Daren and Pwner of the Universe. ^_~

"... *Listing pokemon name, weights, heights and number without looking at book* ..."
- Daren. Smarti-pants.

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Custom Title: The Dark Trainer
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 438184851741

Post by WhoKnows_WhoCares »

The fact that Pickachu is (aparently) more recognisable that Mario say's Nintendo will be selling pokemon in some form or another for a while yet. And since every new mario game since time began (alright, the 1980's) has had some new characters (even if some of them are stuck in the background - delfino residents anybody?) Then there's got to be new pokemon at some point.

Personally, I see a MMORPG (way off) in the future... that will also stop the massive influx of new pokemon as it can be constantly updated every month with new features... and new pokemon can appear less than once a year if needed.
Member of the Umbreon Club - PM pikapower06 to Join.

Thanks to miradapurple for creating my cool avatar.

Pokémon Pearl FC: Ace/4381 8485 1741

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey

Post by Pikachu3828 »

Daren_Charizard wrote:I I thought i was pretty cool getting Pokemon Red for Gameboy B&W, but now... well... personally i think its past its used-by-date. ^_~
I agree, I had a similar excitement when I first got Pokémon Red, though the excitement may also have been because I also got a Gameboy Color and with all the hype around it I was looking forward to it. I did the same with Pokémon Gold. Comparatively Ruby wasn't as exciting for me.
WhoKnows_WhoCares wrote:Personally, I see a MMORPG (way off) in the future... that will also stop the massive influx of new pokemon as it can be constantly updated every month with new features... and new pokemon can appear less than once a year if needed.
That would be cool, but we have to be realistic. For one thing, Nintendo are clearly not big on online gaming, which is shown by the way they totally ignored the Gamecube's broadband adaptors and why only Phantasy Star 1 & 2 ever made it online on the Gamecube. However, while things are turning around with the DS, I doubt we'll ever see an official Pokémon MMORPG, it's not Nintendo's style. WiFi is free of charge and so people would only have to pay initially for the game and from then on they'd get new Pokémon and items every so often - how could Nintendo profit from that :shocked: ?

Favourites: :Gyarados: :Tyranitar: :Zangoose: :Drapion: Image

Red: 151/151 | Gold: 247/251 | Fire Red: 376/386 | Heart Gold: 493/493 | Black: 649/649

Please do not PM me about bugs on the Adoption Agency. Instead, make a topic in the bugs forum.

Daren_Charizard
Pallet Town

Post by Daren_Charizard »

I agree, as long as Nintendo are able to get profit from Pokemon, i doubt they'll stop. But now people are less interested in Pokemon and more interested in blowing their enemies into little pieces. Or atleast what i have seen.
"... So tune in next week for another exciting episode of "They are actually qualified to do this job" ..."
- Melissa. Almighty sister of Daren and Pwner of the Universe. ^_~

"... *Listing pokemon name, weights, heights and number without looking at book* ..."
- Daren. Smarti-pants.

bamm170
First Pokémon!

Post by bamm170 »

but pokemon was alot easier to obtain when there was 151 when it came out it was amazing how profitable it was but i think it will go on till 2012 becuase there will be better stuff out then and preople will forget about pokemon.

Dekuben
Viridian City

Post by Dekuben »

I think Nintendo will have a ORPG, you won't have to pay for it though. That's not their style.

jmai94
Viridian Forest

Post by jmai94 »

Well 151 was quite enough to "catch them all" but now it seems a little ridiculous because I think they are going to have over 1000's of pokemon. They better stop making new pokemon, and they should stop making them, but I doubt they will with all the profit their making.

TaylorGS
Got Marsh Badge!
Got Marsh Badge!

Post by TaylorGS »

Now, after seeing Sneasel's evolved form in the fourth generation, I stop and shake my head... It looks kinda like they're running out of new Pokémon that "feel" like Pokémon... ... Okay... Maybe I'm just being weird. >_>;

I'm not sure if this thread's just intended for the games, so if it is, don't attack me... >_x;
But the anime... As long as there's new Pokémon and new land regions, Ash will probably keep meeting random people, helping them out, and meeting their random Pokémon... I feel kinda old, missing the first season... u.u;

seavicky95
Cinnabar Island
Cinnabar Island
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 468328574608

Post by seavicky95 »

:Baltoy: you know, i really think they're going a little too far. i was thinking maybe stop at the 3rd gen, but they just keep on going. personally, i love the 1st and 2nd generations.

AnnekaLily
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 408124448212

Post by AnnekaLily »

It's like predicting when the greatest band in rock would stop making records, it's the same with games like Mario & Pokémon. Mario have been going on since the Seventies (i think, I dunno I'm rubbish on Gaming history)

I know 4 sure that Scooby Doo have been going since the swingin' Sixties ((I've been Watching Austin Powers Way too much!)) and yet I see a kid in the mall with a cute Scooby Backpack.

It depends wether Anyone acctully still maintains intrest.

To me Pokémon can be timesless, It very difficul;t to put a percific year that it'll end. sure you could just about predict the Anime, but Games y'know they'll be more Pokémon Games than Mario at some point.

I bet when I'm old an Grey there'll still be a kid wearing a Pokémon Top or have a Pikachu plushie sitting on the windowsill.

Pokémon Pearl FC: Anneka/4081 2444 8212

Zapdos-Knight
Pewter City

Post by Zapdos-Knight »

Personally, I think that Pokemon is here to stay. Yu-gi-oh was out in a couple years, so many fads have come and gone, yet pokemon breaks it's own sales records time and time again. I think that, pardon the term, Nintendo has created a media monster. Pokemon is unstoppable.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you however. It does feel a little less "real" every time new pokemon are release, but personally I'm overjoyed at the thought of an evolved sneasel. I think this gen doesn't have to be the last, but it should be the last wave of new pokemon.
Life's short enough-

Save often!

thien_pokemon
Got Boulder Badge!
Got Boulder Badge!

Post by thien_pokemon »

I think it shuold stop when it gets old school but over 1000 pokemon is just too much (But meeting new pokemon is good)
C are for ccokies and cookies are for me!
moral-I like cookies!^_^