My Last Log in Was a Year Ago...

If you are new and would like to make an announcement to everyone saying so, do it here ONLY. This is also the place to announce that it's your birthday, you're going on holiday etc.

Moderator: Forum staff

pikalover1234
Vermilion City
Vermilion City
Custom Title: Oh Noes. Sorry.
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 287870574463

My Last Log in Was a Year Ago...

Post by pikalover1234 »

... but it feels like a thousand!

I had almost completely forgotten that TPC existed up until about twenty minutes ago. I decided to check it out and see if TPC was still here, and thank some omniscient being that it still is! From the looks of it TPC has dwindled down to a pretty small community but I've had some of my best summer vacation memories here so I figured that I might as well make another sudden appearance. While I'm not planning on going anywhere soon, I do have standardized testing coming up and I should probably be studying for that, but beyond the tests and the college visits I'm (hopefully) going to be sticking by The Pika Club until the very end (if it ever ends).

That aside, its great to be back, TPC! Be seeing you all around,
-the ever dashing, pikalover1234
Former Pika Club regular, now life's caught up and things got complicated.

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Custom Title: The Dark Trainer
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 438184851741

Re: My Last Log in Was a Year Ago...

Post by WhoKnows_WhoCares »

Welcome back - it's been to long
Member of the Umbreon Club - PM pikapower06 to Join.

Thanks to miradapurple for creating my cool avatar.

Pokémon Pearl FC: Ace/4381 8485 1741

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 0

Post by Pikachu3828 »

Welcome back pikalover :)

Favourites: :Gyarados: :Tyranitar: :Zangoose: :Drapion: Image

Red: 151/151 | Gold: 247/251 | Fire Red: 376/386 | Heart Gold: 493/493 | Black: 649/649

Please do not PM me about bugs on the Adoption Agency. Instead, make a topic in the bugs forum.

pikalover1234
Vermilion City
Vermilion City

Post by pikalover1234 »

Can somebody give me a summary on the current state of the site? The forum seems moderately active but the retirement of the Adoption Agency was pretty saddening. I can understand why the Agency would be put out to pasture, though. Nonetheless, it just feels like the end of an era.

Still, having a site open for 14 years and still getting decent traffic is quite the achievement; not a lot of sites on the internet can say they've been here for that long. Congratulations to you two on that.

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey

Post by Pikachu3828 »

I have a full time job now and other projects I'd like to focus on. I started developing projects on TPC like the AA to learn how to code, but the backend code is powered by phpBB which is pretty outdated now and is not really useful as a learning tool any more. Parts of it are becoming obsolete in fact and it would take many hours to update to modern standards, which is a lot of work that would have make no discernible difference to users.

I've officially stopped developing the AA, but it will remain open and fully functioning for the foreseeable future.

Red: 151/151 | Gold: 247/251 | Fire Red: 376/386 | Heart Gold: 493/493 | Black: 649/649

Please do not PM me about bugs on the Adoption Agency. Instead, make a topic in the bugs forum.

pikalover1234
Vermilion City
Vermilion City

Post by pikalover1234 »

Now I get it. Are any of the other projects TPC related or do they pertain to your job? If I may ask, did you get a full time code-junkie job?

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey

Post by Pikachu3828 »

pikalover1234 wrote:Are any of the other projects TPC related or do they pertain to your job?
Neither, they're just projects aimed at improving my programming skills.
pikalover1234 wrote: If I may ask, did you get a full time code-junkie job?
Haha, actually yes. I doubt I would have landed my current job without The Pika Club.

pikalover1234
Vermilion City
Vermilion City

Post by pikalover1234 »

Find a job you love and you'll never work another day in your life,
I'm happy that you could find a job PIkachu. I don't know for sure if it's the same in the United Kingdom, but the job market here still is generally awful and as such I'm finding it hard to get a job anywhere. I am turning 17 in May, so that fortunately opens up some doors, but none of them have seem to be good precursors to the subjects I want to major in.

Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey

Post by Pikachu3828 »

pikalover1234 wrote:
I don't know for sure if it's the same in the United Kingdom, but the job market here still is generally awful
It is, especially since I live in a pretty small town and don't have a car so travel is limited. I'm lucky to have landed the job.

pikalover1234
Vermilion City
Vermilion City

Post by pikalover1234 »

Sounds like a good fit! Like I said earlier, there's not much tech/IT related here in Southern Maine that isn't a complaint on why their iPad won't turn on or how their Google Account crashes their iPhone. This'll all hopefully pay off when I apply to colleges. I'm looking at University of California: Santa Cruz because it's a pretty well off school for IT and computer sci. I've set up and resided over the my high school's distribution of iPad's to students, so me and my principal are on a good basis. Hopefully he'll give a great character reference because the acceptance rate is about 50/50. Until that day comes there's not a thing I can do about it though. Oh well.