Serious roleplaying

Discuss any terms of RPing, give your ideas and criticism on RPG Help Threads, etc.
Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 0

Serious roleplaying

Post by Pikachu3828 »

Regarding this announcement, we would like to get opinions from the roleplaying community regarding whether these new 'serious' roleplaying forums are a good idea or not and, if so, what they should/should not include.

Only one member of The Pika Club staff is a roleplayer so we are not as in touch with TPC's roleplaying community as we would like to be. We know there are some who are unhappy with the 'simplicity' of many current roleplays. The serious roleplaying forums are intended for those who wish to go more in depth with their roleplays, to build their characters, develop an encompassing roleplaying environment etc.

We have considered allowing more 'mature' content in these serious roleplaying forums, as long as age ratings are attached to the subject description (we'll draw up a list of what content is/isn't allowed for each age restriction) Good grammar and spelling will be required. One thing the staff could not agree on though is a minimum word requirement/reccomendation. You obviously cannot have an in depth roleplay if each roleplayer is submitting posts one or two lines long, but sometimes little needs to be said in a post and adding a word requirement would flesh a post out needlessly.

We would like to hear the roleplaying community's opinions on all these matters plus any you can think of. We are also interested in hearing your suggestions and anything else you would like to say.
Last edited by Pikachu3828 on Sat 26 May, 2007 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Favourites: :Gyarados: :Tyranitar: :Zangoose: :Drapion: Image

Red: 151/151 | Gold: 247/251 | Fire Red: 376/386 | Heart Gold: 493/493 | Black: 649/649

Please do not PM me about bugs on the Adoption Agency. Instead, make a topic in the bugs forum.

WhoKnows_WhoCares
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Custom Title: The Dark Trainer
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 438184851741

Post by WhoKnows_WhoCares »

I think it's a good time to try and get the Roleplaying community talking about this, so come on. What are your thoughts on this, Do you wish these Roleplays had more indepth posts made by the people in them. Do you want to go a little darker in the subject matter. What do you want the Roleplays to do that they don't currently do (or seem to do) at the moment.

I know we're back from a couple month's downtime, so most of you people might not be back in your RP grove, but I think this is the perfect time to look over some of the RP's we have here and see if you want something a bit different, and then tell us about it here
Member of the Umbreon Club - PM pikapower06 to Join.

Thanks to miradapurple for creating my cool avatar.

Pokémon Pearl FC: Ace/4381 8485 1741

Fazzy
Cinnabar Island
Cinnabar Island
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 313648434588

Post by Fazzy »

I think that's a great idea, cause' it can get pretty annoying when some one just goes:

Post 1: Andrew said hi.

Post 2: Julia said hi, too

Post 3: Andrew stood up

You get the point.. I agree with that idea!
Well, Timmy, aren't you being a cotton-headed ninny muggins.

pikapower06
Indigo Plateau
Indigo Plateau

Post by pikapower06 »

Ehh I love the idea... All I can really say [mind's a bit...off thinking wise so brain cells aren't with me at the moment... l.o.l. think they all retired to sleep] is I LOVE for more in-depth posts in Role-plays. You know, so you don't just know what they character does, but how he feels and all over everything. Anyone should be able, with a little concentration and imagination, do that. Maybe a bit of practice. To me, when a R.P.'s more like a juicy book, where you can almost feel the emotion in the words, or the pain and suffering the character suffers, or the complete joy the character holds....it makes Role-playing all the more worth while.

Like Fazzy said, nothing but one liners is kind of boring.... Shoot, I'd even be willing to try and help others R.P. better, if needed... I did before though I don't think I was ever meant to be a teacher. >_> I had an role playing coach myself, it doesn't make one weaker or worse off to ask for help. And, I'd only be more than willing to help if they even want my help.

But yeah, more in depth Role plays would do a lot of good in my opinion, and sometimes short posts are all that's needed. Rarely, but there are those occasions too. If you need any post limit, make it three sentences, but other wise leave that alone. That's nothing needed. And I feel more like joining a role play than anything else if I can read through it, and it's more like a 'story book' novel than "Jerry went to the bush. He pulled a berry off a branch and ate it. He smiled because it was so tasty. Jerry went to bed." And more...I dunno [no muse]... "Jerry's stomach rumbled again, as hunger gnawed away inside him, demanding for him to be fed. A short sigh of relief sounded from his jaws, as his eyes landed upon a lone bush, his searchings over. He saw the berries, the red coat of them seeming to glow in the sun light like heavenly gift from above, nestled nicely upon the branches. Anticipation filled him, and he could wait no longer eat..." Stuff. Okay, Sorry if I've rambled here.... A bit energetic [for typing, not like hyper energetic]
Pokemon -- Roleplaying -- Fun!
Come start your journey today!
It's fun, AND we're active!

seavicky95
Cinnabar Island
Cinnabar Island
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 468328574608

Post by seavicky95 »

i like the idea. i should start trying to do that more often myself...
anyway, i think that this would work out nicely. i can't imagine why others would disagree with this, unless they're really lazy people who just want to get on with the roleplay.

personally, this would make roleplaying more enjoyable. you won't get bored quickly and it keeps the RP going strong.

Dark Shocktail
Viridian Forest

Post by Dark Shocktail »

*reposting*

I'd personally love some serious roleplaying. I find it hard to keep up when others post when you're not there, especially if the plot is forever changing with each page.

Otherwise, I agree with what everyone else has said so far =) There's no point in repeatign what has been said.
My cheeks are overloading, my teeth are bared and I have a target painted all over you...

WARNING: My internet sometimes has a fit and dies unexpectedly. Blame it on Windows!

Yellow-Chan
Lavender Town
Lavender Town

Post by Yellow-Chan »

It really dose get annoying when people post short replies to an RP. I try to type as much detail as possible (and if I may say, I think I've gotten better), then when other people type one or two sentaces it makes me mad. The wost part is, as Dark Shocktail said, when it gets so many short replies it becomes hard to keep up with. Then to make matters worse, when these sort of roleplayers are online, if you take the time to type in a little detail be the time you post it, seval new replies come in, the plot changes, and what you wrote and took time on becames irrelevent to the plot. This has happen a couple of times to me, before, I really hate it. The short replies also make it so you have to type short, one-sentece replies. Also that's the main reson I don't RP in the Pokemon RP forum. The plots changed to much.
Poli the Level 124 LM4
Get your own Glitch Pokemon at Glitch City Labs!
I'm back for the time being....

pikapower06
Indigo Plateau
Indigo Plateau

Post by pikapower06 »

Ah then a posting order would be helpful! That reminded me, Yellow's post. [Don't mind me shortening your user-name to yellow do ya?] so that everyone takes a TURN in posting. Because, when you work really hard on a post, just to find out it's five chapters to late by the time you finally post it...
Can get REALLY aggravating. And, to make sure the RP keeps alive, there should be a time limit for your posts on your turn. Say, example, a week not posting on your turn after the person who posts before you posts and the RP gang skips over your turn. Just to make sure your inactivity doesn't destroy RP [unless you post a thread saying you'll be gone for a while. Like, that can be the only exception]
Thanks to C.C, I can say having a posting order helps a LOT when you have multiple Role players within the same thread...
Pokemon -- Roleplaying -- Fun!
Come start your journey today!
It's fun, AND we're active!

Yellow-Chan
Lavender Town
Lavender Town

Post by Yellow-Chan »

pikapower06 wrote:Ah then a posting order would be helpful! That reminded me, Yellow's post. [Don't mind me shortening your user-name to yellow do ya?] so that everyone takes a TURN in posting. Because, when you work really hard on a post, just to find out it's five chapters to late by the time you finally post it...
Can get REALLY aggravating. And, to make sure the RP keeps alive, there should be a time limit for your posts on your turn. Say, example, a week not posting on your turn after the person who posts before you posts and the RP gang skips over your turn. Just to make sure your inactivity doesn't destroy RP [unless you post a thread saying you'll be gone for a while. Like, that can be the only exception]
Thanks to C.C, I can say having a posting order helps a LOT when you have multiple Role players within the same thread...
[No, not at all, feel free to call me Yellow, just please don't call me YC or any vartion. thank you.] And you being up a good point, I like this idea. How ever if people leave with out a word that could be bad. We should have a time limit for how long you have to wait. (Should be a reasnabal amount of time) Also we'll have to deside who goes when, but yah I woleheartily agree with this idea.
Poli the Level 124 LM4
Get your own Glitch Pokemon at Glitch City Labs!
I'm back for the time being....

seavicky95
Cinnabar Island
Cinnabar Island
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 468328574608

Post by seavicky95 »

that sounds great and i'm totally with it. in my opinion, it'll work well if given a chance. it would cause less problems for many RPers. not only that, but roleplays would flow quite smoothly and have a more realistic feeling to them. :Carnivine:

Dark Shocktail
Viridian Forest

Post by Dark Shocktail »

Ah! I've seen this done before! Excellent idea =)

If someone's going on holiday they could pass control of their character to someone else, so that their character doesn't get left behind. And when they come back, somebody could PM them with an update on what has happened while they were away.
My cheeks are overloading, my teeth are bared and I have a target painted all over you...

WARNING: My internet sometimes has a fit and dies unexpectedly. Blame it on Windows!

miradapurple
Indigo Plateau
Indigo Plateau

Post by miradapurple »

I myself prefer more in-depth roleplaying, as it allows more description into the actions that a character might be preforming. And when you have an accurate image of what the scenery is, then more people would be on the same topic, as opposed to 'he looked down from the devastatingly high mountaintop', while someone who thinks they are at the same place 'dropped through the air like a bird soaring to freedom'.
I like fruit-flavored tea. : )

zen
Indigo Plateau
Indigo Plateau

Post by zen »

The link won't work for me...

Though if it's about making Role Plays more descriptive and getting rid of one liner posts, I'm all for it. That way people need to think about what they are writing and gives people like me *cough* less to have to read to catch up and more time to post.
ImageImage
Bio is incredible:http://www.studiodaily.com/main/techniq ... /6850.html

The universe is not indifferent to intelligence, it is actively hostile to it.

Fallen2grace
Cerulean City
Cerulean City

Post by Fallen2grace »

I think that this is a great idea. I competly quit roleplaying on this site because of the one liners. Thanks for making this! I have no suggestions at the moment. :]