Wi-fi information - How tos, FAQ etc

This forum is for the sharing of friend codes, discussions and hosting of games/tournaments and any other information pertaining to the Nintendo WiFi service and games which utilise it.
Pikachu3828
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 0

Wi-fi information - How tos, FAQ etc

Post by Pikachu3828 »

Nintendo DS Wifi service

After being left out of the competition in the console wars with the failure of an online service for the Gamecube, Nintendo has managed to rectify this for their newest handheld console, the DS! Read down for more information about this.

Setting up Wifi
There are two main ways of connecting to Nintendo's Wifi service. These are via Wifi hotspots and connecting through your home computer.

Wifi hotspots
Connecting to Wifi hotspots is easy, but it may take some time to find one. For information on local Wifi hotspots, visit http://www.nintendowifi.com/.

That's all I can think of for now. If you have anything you would like to add, please feel free to post it!

Connecting via your home computer
There are two ways of connecting via your home computer. If you use a router (like I do) then you will be able to connect easily. If you're unsure whether you use a router or not, ask. If you have any laptops that can connect to the Internet without plugging in any cables, you probably have a wireless router connection somewhere in your house.

If you don't have a router, you can still connect by using a Nintendo Wi-fi USB adaptor. They look like so: Click Simply plug this into a USB port on your computer and it should enable your DS to pick up a connection.
Some information on the USB adaptor wrote:This simple thumb drive-sized device plugs into any USB port of your PC, and it doesn't matter if it's 1.1 or 2.0-compatible. What it does is allow for your Nintendo DS to piggyback onto the broadband connection that your PC is currently using, with a minimal of configuration. The box comes packaged with a short USB extender cable for computers that have their USB ports on the backside of their system, which makes it easier to install and remove the device when you want to switch the Connector from one PC to another.
I am not entirely sure where this is available to purchase, but it is on sale on the official Nintendo website, http://www.nintendo.com

For a more detailed guide, visit http://ds.ign.com/articles/665/665128p1.html

Once you meet either one of the requirements, follow these steps:
  1. Turn on your Wifi enabled game and navigate to the Wifi settings option. This is different for each game, but so far I have found no way of accessing this screen other than through a Wifi enabled game
  2. Select Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Settings
  3. Select a connection (1,2 or 3) and follow the instructions from there, your DS should pick up the signal and set up a connection
  4. If you still cannot get it to work, check out the manual that comes with your Nintendo DS and/or Wifi enabled games.

FAQ
Does it cost to connect to the Wifi service?
Nintendo's Wifi service is completely free of charge, although I have heard some hotspots, such as McDonalds, do charge a small amount to allow you to connect.

My signal is pretty bad, help!
Nintendo reccomends two bars or more on your connection strength for optimal results. If yours is below this, try moving closer to the connection source and make sure your DS is facing the source. Objects in the way such as people, walls etc may weaken the connection stength.

Can I connect to the Wifi service anywhere?
Some places and countries have strict frequency regulations, which must be adhered to. Places such as hospitals and aeroplanes would probably not allow you to connect there as it can interfere with other equipment. Make sure to check before you try.

What games can I play on Wifi?
Currently only Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing: Wild World and American Sk8land DS make use of Nintendo's Wifi service, but more are coming soon, such as Metroid Prime: Hunters!

Favourites: :Gyarados: :Tyranitar: :Zangoose: :Drapion: Image

Red: 151/151 | Gold: 247/251 | Fire Red: 376/386 | Heart Gold: 493/493 | Black: 649/649

Please do not PM me about bugs on the Adoption Agency. Instead, make a topic in the bugs forum.

Myuuzard
Cerulean City
Cerulean City
Pokémon D/P Friend code: 0

Post by Myuuzard »

the system FAQ was nice Pikachu3828 :-D
Using diamond/pearl wi-fi my strong emerald
pokemon will be able to beat any other trainers
world wide. Although i'll have a hard time battling PD Wooper
although my party seems to be stronger than his.
[align=center]Image[/align]

Killz
First Pokémon!

Post by Killz »

I wil be using a usb cord soon (today) nice ips