After years of using our old design, we’ve finally revamped our blog to bring it up to date with a more modern design. The new design is much cleaner than the old one and is fully responsive, which means this site should automatically adjust the layout so that it looks good whether you’re browsing on a mobile, tablet or desktop. We hope you enjoy the new look!
This post has been a long time coming but after months of inactivity I think it only fair I make an announcement than continue the silence. As the post title suggests, I am officialling announcing my retirement. This means I will no longer be actively developing the Adoption Agency. What it does not mean, however, is that the Adoption Agency is closing. The server is paid up for well over a year at this point so the Adoption Agency isn’t going anywhere. Nor am I.
The Pika Club has been around since 1999 so will be 14 years old this year. Since I am 23 this means TPC has existed for more of my life than it hasn’t at this point so as you can imagine it’s a hard thing to give up. I used the Adoption Agency (and its predecessors) as a means of teaching myself how to code and I used to develop it in my spare time outside of school/university. However since graduating I no longer have the spare time I used to and the code it’s based on (phpBB) is outdated at this point. I want to branch off into other areas of coding, such as actual video games. As a hobby project I created entirely in my spare time and offer completely free of charge I can no longer justify sacrificing the spare time I have nowadays like I once could.
I’ve updated the live version of the Adoption Agency to include the new modifications I was working on for 2.3. Unfortunately no new ‘big’ features are included since a few were under development but none are complete enough to be released.
As I said, though, I’m not going anywhere. I do still like coding and I really enjoyed making something a lot of people got entertainment out of. The AA is certainly not one of the bigger adoptable sites, but it did develop a close-knit community of regulars which is truly what kept me going for as long as it did. I’ll still be hanging around the forums and I’ll still fix bugs. I’m not ruling out any new development, either. But if it happens, it will be one new feature at a time rather than the large ‘updates’ that were used up to this point. I’d really like to release all the inaccessible Pokemon and finish the 2.3 ‘big’ features as believe me, there were some cool ones. But no promises.
Thanks for the memories,
I am pleased to announce the release of the Adoption Agency version 2.2 as well as a number of software upgrades. These have now all been complete and there should be no issues but please get in touch if you run across any.
The Adoption Agency 2.2 update includes the following new features:
- Mining has been completely revamped
- Auction House – You can now auction off your Pokémon
- Gifting – You may now send gifts of money, items or Pokémon to other users!
- Pokémon history – A much requested feature, you can now check up on the click history of any Pokémon
- Favourites – You now have a favourites list you can add any Pokémon to for easy click access
- Interact links are now red or green depending on whether you’ve petted a Pokémon within the last 24 hours
- New quests, achievements and Pokémon
- Natures – Pokémon now have natures! Natures can alter a Pokémon’s abilities. For example, Pokémon with Hasty natures mine ore faster than others!
- Pokérus – Pokémon can now become infected with Pokérus. There is a small chance of them catching it organically and it can be passed on to your party Pokémon if you interact with an infected Pokémon. Currently this only makes Pokémon mine faster but will be expanded to more features in the future.
- Country flags – Your country is now recorded based on your IP. This has two major benefits: Pokémon gain slightly more EXP when interacted with by a breeder from a different country to their owner, and when two Pokémon with OTs from different countries breed there is a slightly higher chance of the egg being shiny.
- Pokénet – You can see on the top right of the page there is now a place to post status updates. These will be displayed on your profile page and in the future I’m hoping to add the functionality to follow other breeders so you can keep track of what your friends are doing!
- Plus more! I can’t give everything away 😉
Version 2.1.5 of the Adoption Agency has been released. For those unaware, there is a forum topic here that will explain more about 2.1.5 but essentially it is more of an upgrade of existing features than adding new ones.
Changes in this update include:
- New Breeding Centre – There is more to the breeding centre now than simply leaving Pokémon there for an hour.
- Trading Centre Upgrade – You can now find trades easier and be much more specific with your trade requests.
- Mass Migration Box Feature – You can now mass move Pokémon between boxes for easier and faster sorting.
- Bag Sorting – Your bag is now sorted and categorised, making for easier navigation.
- Greater Preference Control – You now have greater control over your AA experience by being able to set preferences when editing your profile such as only allowing certain people to trade with you.
- Upgraded Friends List – Your friends list now shows which of your friends are currently online.
- Hall of Fame Return – The Hall of Fame has returned and is more comprehensive than ever!
Version 2.2 is now currently in development which will include all brand new features.
Some time ago I added a little tool to this site called the Munchlax Calculator which allowed you to work out which honey trees you could slather honey on to attract Munchlax in Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. I left it and forgot about it for a long time until recently when it was brought to my attention that it was: 1) the number 1 result on Google for “Munchlax Tree Calculator” and 2) it was receiving decent daily traffic. As such, I decided to remake the calculator layout as it was very bare bones and did not even link back to our homepage before.
I have also added our Random Team Generator script to the tools menu as I did not realise it was missing. You can use our random team generator to create a random team of between 1-6 Pokémon using filters you specify.
The first update to the PHPokédex is also planned within the next few months to add some new features and improve user accessibility.
Those of you that are Adoption Agency users will be pleased to know that it has received an update, currently at v2.1.1
New features include:
- Quest Log
- New Areas
- New Pokémon
- New Achievements
- Forum PM Integration
- Daily Breeder and Pokémon Bonuses
Plus plenty more. To read an overview of some of the new features, visit the version 2.1 update topic.
EDIT – If you are reading this, then you are seeing us on our new server. Everything looks like its gone across smothly and it doesnt look like we’ve lost a lot of data. Thanks for your assistance in this, news round up will come along shortly
Yes, we know we’ve missed news. We’ve been busy and as soon as we’ve finished this project, we’ll catch up. For now, please read the following
A note to all users, we will soon be moving servers in order to (hopefully) run smother and better. while this occurs, anything data changed to this server may NOT transfer across to the new one. It is recommended that you limit your interaction to the AA and TPC as a whole until this message is replaced and/or there is a message on the forums. We also recommend you remove all pokemon from the ranch and all pokemon from the breeding centre. Also try to make sure all eggs are hatched. This is only as a precautionary measure.
We hope for this to be solved as soon as possible. We also hope for minimum problems.
We appreciate your help and assistance during this proccess
We’ve now got a guide up for Pokémon Musicals in Pokémon Black/White. While they’re not as involved as contests, your participation is required in them if you wish to complete your Trainer Card and they are a fun distraction from the main game. Given the lack of information on Pokémon Musicals despite the length of time Pokémon Black/White has been out I hope this guide is useful.
After the working Pokédex the next most popular option on our poll (located on the right hand menu) is more information on old games. As such I have been doing just that today and have added a Pokémon Fire Red/Leaf Green section. More information including other games coming soon.
Edit: We now also have a Pokémon Gold/Silver Section.
Nintendo seem to be liking Zoroark at the moment, in fact, they’re dedicating the whole of the month of September to him. The main attraction is that between September 18th and September 25th, Toy’s R Us stores across America will be giving the Illusion Fox Pokemon away. Copying the World’s Toy Fair Zoroark given away to Japanese players earlier in the year, Zoroark comes at level 50 and knows Snarl. Assigned to TM95, Snarl is a dark type move which will lower the target’s Special Attack lower that is currently unavailable in Black and White, so if you want this move on any compatible pokemon, you’ll want this Zoroark to breed it onto them.
But wait, there’s more. Head to Pokemon.com on either the 17th or the 18th of September and you can see the complete, full version of Zoroark: Master of Illusions, The 13th Pokemon movie will be shown on the website during those two days, ahead of the DVD release of the movie in the USA on the 20th.
Want to win a copy of the movie? Well the website has you covered too, head here and enter the competition before October third where the grand winner will win a copy of the movie on DVD, a Nintendo 3DS, A copy of Pokemon Black, A copy of Pokemon White, the Zoroark Illusions TCG Promo box, an entire box of TCG booster packs from the latest TCG set (emerging powers), a deluxe Zoroark action figure and a copy of Zoroark: Master of Illusions manga. Now THAT’s a prize. Between now and then, 25 winners will be picked each week and will win a copy of the DVD, the Zoroark TCG Promo Box and the Action Figure. Get entering now!
Finally, a new c-gear skin featuring Zoroark is out now, and will be available until January 11th Next year. To get it, use the password ‘ZoroarkMonth11’
And that’s all the news we have for you right now, We’ll bring you more news, hopefully with European news for these promo’s, when we learn it